About the Macclesfield History Group
Our members are interested in the collection, preservation, research, writing and publication of all aspects of history relating to our district. We hold exhibitions and display at local events.
The aims of the Macclesfield History Group are:
1. To have a sole focus of the local area's history, and to encourage an appreciation of that history.
2. To develop excellent research, writing and history-related skills.
3. To maintain and catalogue a collection of historical information, and as far as practicable make that information available both to the local community and generally via the Internet.
Convenor: Lesley SCHACK
Present Members: Betty WHITE, Brenton HANDKE, Rodney FOSTER, Phil DAVIS, Sue WRIGHT, Daryl STEVENSON (web guy)
Recent past members:
Ray and Shirley RISELY, Geraldine JONES, Margaret JACKSON
Meetings are in the History Group Room at the back of the Institute Hall in the main street of Macclesfield, Venables Street. Time: 1-5pm Wednesday afternoon.
There are occasions when some help would be appreciated, particularly technical expertise, for such tasks as:
• researching then preparing photos and associated text for presentation on this website,
• adding data to our new database, some computer skills needed,
• scanning photos,
• preparing materials for secure storage,
• categorising them so that they can be easily found in the future
• organising and preparing exhibitions
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Online feedback form: see Feedback / Information / Suggestions / Questions below.
Post: Macclesfield History Group, c/o PO Box 357, Macclesfield 5153
Late November 2017 I finally managed to create a business card that looked OK. The background photo of Venables Street in Macclesfield was taken about 1940.
We welcome the donation or loan of photos, artefacts and texts that add to the body of local historical knowledge. Copyright is an issue, and sometimes there are Privacy concerns. Consequently we:
• cannot accept for publication material that is simply copied from other texts,
• would very much appreciate a clearly written provenance for each item,
• do not have the physical resources to store any large or heavy item,
• do not have the resources to answer too many questions, though we will try.
This website is best suited to computer screens and iPads/tablets.
We welcome feedback, good or helpfully critical. We have made every attempt to present accurate information, and accept no responsibility for the results of any errors. If you notice any errors, or have any queries regarding the information contained at this site, please contact us by email at email@example.com.
Or fill out the online form.